[ US /ˈkæɫəf/ ]
[ UK /kˈælɪf/ ]
[ UK /kˈælɪf/ ]
the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth
many radical Muslims believe a Khalifah will unite all Islamic lands and people and subjugate the rest of the world
How To Use caliph In A Sentence
- He came to Egypt in 1168 as an assistant to his uncle, who was a general and then became the vizier of the last Fatimid caliph.
- With these prohibitions should be connected the somewhat unintelligible fact that the most pious Caliphs sat upon thrones (_mimbar_, "president's chair") of clay. Christianity and Islam
- Has arbores seu arbusta Balsami fecit quondam quidam de Caliphis Aegypti de loco Engaddi inter mare mortuum, et Ierico, vbi Domino volente excreuerat, eradicari, et in argo pr鎑icto plantari: est tamen hoc mirandum, quod vbicuncque alibi siue prope, siue remote plantantur, quamuis fort� virent, et exurgant, non tamen fructificant. The Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
- It is an ancestor of the English term “caliphate,” referring to a dynastic succession of rulers. The Jesus Dynasty
- For the next 1,300 years, a succession of Arab, Mameluke, and Ottoman caliphs, beys, and sultans ruled the country.
- The Caliph wondered at her words and bade the tale be recorded and chronicled and laid up in his muniment-chambers. — The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- One of the earliest and most distinguished of the Arabic mathematicians was the ninth century scholar Abu Ja'far Mohammed ibn Musa Al-Khwarizmi, who was an astronomer to the caliph at Baghdad.
- Then the Caliph and his company drank, whilst the girls went away and there came forth yet other ten, as they were rubies, robed in red brocade inwoven with gold and purfled with pearls and jewels whilst all their heads were bare. The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- their goal was to reestablish the Caliphate
- No harm shall befal you; for the Caliph, fifth537 of the sons of Al – Abbas, hath pledged himself for your deliverance and I have forgiven you. The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night