- thyroid hormone that tends to lower the level of calcium in the blood plasma and inhibit resorption of bone
How To Use calcitonin In A Sentence
- Consistent with these findings, a marked elevation of sensory neuropeptides such as substance P, neurokinin A, and calcitonin gene-related peptide was observed in rat bronchoalveolar lavage fluid after paclitaxel injection.
- When parathyroid hormone and calcitonin had both been purified, it was possible to determine that it was parathyroid hormone and not calcitonin that had an anabolic effect on bone in young rats.
- Rats with vagal, pelvic, hypogastric and ovarian neurectomies exhibited a marked decrease in calcitonin gene-related peptide-immunoreactive nerves in the uterus relative to rats with pelvic, hypogastric, and ovarian neurectomies with intact vagus nerves. In Defense of the Hysterectomy
- Adjunctive therapy with salmon calcitonin can be given in a dosage of 200 units every 6 hours.
- OBJECTIVE: To isolate and characterize calcitonin from chicken ultimobranchial glands.
- Parathyroid hormone regulates the level of calcium in the blood with the help of calcitonin (pronounced: kal-suh-toe-nin), which is produced in the thyroid.
- Objective:To explore whether detecting minimal residual disease of leukemia with hyper-methylation of the calcitonin gene as molecular genetic marker of leukemic clone to predict the prognosis.
- Several drugs are now available which have powerful actions on bone metabolism: examples are the bisphosphonates and the calcitonins, both of which inhibit bone resorption and can be used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Certain drugs (penicillin, insulin, calcitonin, heparin, and some vitamins) have their potency expressed as units of biologic activity rather than milligrams.
- Salmon calcitonin is a form of a hormone that comes from fish.