[ US /bɪˈhaɪnd/ ]
[ UK /bɪhˈaɪnd/ ]
[ UK /bɪhˈaɪnd/ ]
he fell behind with his mortgage payments
a month behind in the rent
a company that has been run behindhand for years
in arrears with their utility bills
in or into an inferior position
their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers
fell behind in his studies
my watch is running behind
the clock is almost an hour slow
in or to or toward the rear
seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front
he followed behind
the final runners were far behind
remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from
left a large family behind
when he died he left much unfinished work behind
he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind
the children left their books behind
having the lower score or lagging position in a contest
the 8th inning found the home team trailing
behind by two points
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
he deserves a good kick in the butt
are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?
How To Use behind In A Sentence
- Due to the bad weather, the building work was already behind schedule.
- The fin's origin is relatively far behind the pelvic fin insertion.
- The lower opening is formed by the twelfth thoracic vertebra behind, by the eleventh and twelfth ribs at the sides, and in front by the cartilages of the tenth, ninth, eighth, and seventh ribs, which ascend on either side and form an angle, the subcostal angle, into the apex of which the xiphoid process projects. II. Osteology. 4. The Thorax
- ‘Behind the scenes there are still a number of points that deserve attention,’ the unidentified official said, according to the semi-official Central News Agency.
- The argument behind x is not quantitative, and we do not have an expression for its expected value under a null isolation model.
- Not only by the immense number of adherents that were won to his views during his lifetime, but also by the literary productions he left behind him, Tsong K'aba's influence has been great during the last five centuries of Tibetan history. With the Tibetans in Tent and Temple: Narrative of Four Years' Residence on the Tibetan Borders, and of a Journey into the Far Interior
- Her partner deceives her, but she doesn't know it; her children fail, but she is told they succeed; she believes she has the admiration of others, but they laugh at her behind her back.
- I overheard two fifteen year old girls behind me at the ATM planning to get together tomorrow night and eat ice cream and comfort each other when they didn't get any valentines.
- But the motive behind her achievement was not self-interest alone, nor the desire to carry aloft the banner of feminism.
- Grandma always lag behind when we go for a walk.