- apoapsis in solar orbit; the point in the orbit of a planet or comet that is at the greatest distance from the sun
How To Use aphelion In A Sentence
- Scotsman James Croll combined the eccentricity of the orbit and the precession and in the 1860s and 1870s presented his ideas on the effects of the cycles and how they might influence climate, especially the colder winters when they correspond with the aphelion. Milankovitch cycles
- In order for this result to be produced, the earth must reach that part of its orbit known as aphelion, where the distance from its controlling centre is greatest, so that the eccentricity of the moon's orbit is always an indication of the position of the earth in its relation to the sun. Aether and Gravitation
- This total solar eclipse occurred near Aphelion , the point in Earth's elliptical orbit farthest from the Sun, and so the Sun was near its smallest apparent size.
- Figure 1: Position of the equinoxes, solstices, aphelion, and perihelion on the Earth's orbit. Earth-Sun geometry
- There are small cyclic variations in those apparent sizes because the Earth-Moon distance changes as the latter moves between perigee and apogee, and the Earth-Sun separation alters as the former moves between perihelion and aphelion.
- The area of a sphere whose radius is equal to the earth's distance from the sun in aphelion being to the sun's area as 218. 1² to 1, while the reflecter of the solar pyrometer intercepts a sunbeam of 3,130 square inches section, it follows that the reflector will receive the radiant heat developed by 3,130/ Scientific American Supplement, No. 458, October 11, 1884
- This is because at aphelion the planet is moving slowest, and consequently it is less likely to pass across the Sun during the critical window.
- At the opposite point of its orbit, where it will be in "aphelion," or farthest from the sun, the sun will only appear about 19 minutes in diameter. To Mars via The Moon An Astronomical Story
- So whether or not Pluto is moving towards perihelion or aphelion that doesn't determine its "spring" or "autumn", does it? New Hubble Images Show Pluto is Changing | Universe Today
- The first colonists arrived only to learn that they had to contend with a winter twenty times the duration of summer and so extreme it froze the atmosphere to the surface well after aphelion to the primary. Mandala « A Fly in Amber