[ US /ˈæntwɝp/ ]
- a busy port and financial center in northern Belgium on the Scheldt river; it has long been a center for the diamond industry and the first stock exchange was opened there in 1460
How To Use Antwerp In A Sentence
- Orange himself, as burgrave of Antwerp, at the request of the duchess visited the town and with the aid of Brederode and Meghem succeeded in effecting a compromise between the Catholic and Protestant parties. History of Holland
- Helping me in my mission is the convenience of central Antwerp.
- Some 5,000 Kurds from across Europe have staged a demonstration in Brussels calling on the authorities to put an end to police abuse against representatives of the Kurdish diaspora in Belgium, local media has reported. carried out large-scale raids in Kurdish-inhabited districts in the capital, Brussels, as well as in the cities of Antwerp, Charleroi, Namur, and Verviers. RIA Novosti
- Born in Antwerp and trained as a marine artist, he excelled in portraying the busy life of ports.
- He meanwhile devoted himself to preserving peace in Antwerp, of which city he was burgrave.
- The Belgian army retreated to the town of Antwerp, leaving Brussels an open city.
- The Allies needed to control the West and East Scheldt - areas of sea to the north-west of Antwerp.
- As we would learn, religious Jews on bikes are a common sight in Antwerp, particularly around the train station, in the diamond district. Tablet Magazine
- Are there any cross-Channel ferries out of here tonight for Antwerp? CORMORANT
- A group of scientists have been growing diamonds, not to try to pawn off in Antwerp or anything, but rather to coat electrodes, and ultimately ... Scientists Grow Diamonds To Clean Sewage Water