[ UK /ˈæmbəɡɹˌɪs/ ]
[ US /ˈæmbɝɡɹɪs/ ]
[ US /ˈæmbɝɡɹɪs/ ]
- waxy substance secreted by the sperm whale and found floating at sea or washed ashore; used in perfume
How To Use ambergris In A Sentence
- So she sealed the letter with virgin musk and incensed it with Nadd-scent and ambergris, after which she committed it to a certain of the merchants saying, Deliver it not to any save to Zayn al-Mawasif or to her handmaid The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- So, I got some sea salt, put it in a dish of blue glass, and anointed the dish with ambergris.
- Acids of every description not otherwise provided for; alcornoque; aloes; ambergris; amber; ammonia and sal ammonia; anatto, roucon or orleans; angora Thibet, and other goats 'hair, or mohair, unmanufactured, not otherwise provided for; annis seed; antimony, crude or regulus of; argol, or crude tartar; arsenic; ashes, pot, pearl and soda; asphaltum; assafoetida. The Statutes at Large of the Provisional Government of the Confederate States of America, from the Institution of the Government, February 8, 1861, to its Termination, February 18, 1862, Inclusive. Arranged in Chronological Order. Together with the Consti
- Scinde, musk from Tibet, galbanum from Khorasan; from Afghanistan, asafetida; from Persia, sagapenum; ambergris and civet from Zanzibar, and from Zanzibar came ivory, too. Messer Marco Polo
- Using short, clipped sentences (dropping articles and pronouns from the beginnings of sentences, creating a weird but powerful effect) VanderMeer tells readers the story of the titular character, a detective in the city of Ambergris as he attempts to solve a double murder of a human and a gray cap. REVIEW: Finch by Jeff VanderMeer
- Musk, ambergris, civet, violet, tubereuse, and jasmine, if we require to retain their true aroma when in solution in alcohol, must be made with the British spirit. The Art of Perfumery And Methods of Obtaining the Odors of Plants
- The cup-boy is a sun rising from the dark underworld symbolised by his collar; his cheek-mole is a crumb of ambergris, his nose is a scymitar grided at the curve; his lower lip is a jujube; his teeth are the Pleiades or hailstones; his browlocks are scorpions; his young hair on the upper lip is an emerald; his side beard is a swarm of ants or a Lám The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- After a purge, 3 or 4 grains of bezoar stone, and 3 grains of ambergris, drunk or taken in borage or bugloss water, in which gold hot hath been quenched, will do much good, and the purge shall diminish less (the heart so refreshed) of the strength and substance of the body. Anatomy of Melancholy
- It was perhaps a lucky accident of history that his cause was aided by patriots nearly as nuanced as he: in Boston were Paul Revere and John Hancock and the Adamses, noted voluptuaries and lovers of pleasure, easily distinguished in a crowd by the rich, ambergris-based New England bath oils in which they drenched themselves. An Amazon.com Books Blog featuring news, reviews, interviews and guest author blogs.
- Apparently the plastic is infused with ambergris.