[ UK /ˈɒltɐ/ ]
[ US /ˈɔɫtɝ/ ]
[ US /ˈɔɫtɝ/ ]
- insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby
remove the ovaries of
Is your cat spayed?
become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence
her mood changes in accordance with the weather
The supermarket's selection of vegetables varies according to the season
cause to change; make different; cause a transformation
The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue
The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city
make an alteration to
This dress needs to be altered
How To Use alter In A Sentence
- Sodium thiopental was used by most U.S. states as part of a lethal injection combination, but many have switched to an alternative drug called pentobarbital amid an ongoing shortage. The Seattle Times
- Observing the affected knee may reveal dystrophic changes, alteration of skin color, calluses related to kneeling or occupational abuse of the knee, scars, scratches, or rashes.
- A couple of phone calls, arranged by a deep-sea diver I came to know while working on a story on the Miskito Coast of Nicaragua, led me to an alternately boastful and paranoidly surreptitious man named Steve. The Lampshade
- Pay particular attention to zoning in each of the alternatives proposed for your area.
- I mean they ought to be able to reflect on possible alternative views, and some do.
- The manager never falters in his determination.
- Modern scientific capability has profoundly altered the course of human life. Times, Sunday Times
- Some find it repugnant, others see them as casualties in an undeclared war that is greatly preferable to the alternative of full-scale conflict. Times, Sunday Times
- I think the argument of race as a cause of criminality like Walter brings up is somewhat off-point - The reason why those racial divides in criminality show up is mainly because those lines go together with education - or rather: the lack of good education. Can a Godless Society be a
- A cosmetic change to alter the face of the offside rule Talking point.