[ US /ˈæɫəˌfoʊn/ ]
- (linguistics) any of various acoustically different forms of the same phoneme
How To Use allophone In A Sentence
- A gamelan is a musical instrument from Indonesia - typically from the islands of Bali or Java - featuring a variety of instruments such as metallophones, xylophones, drums and gongs, bamboo flutes, bowed and plucked strings. Middletownjournal.com - News
- In contrast, a root that shows a devoiced stop but which confuses the allophone with the homophonous phoneme should instead properly pair with another unvoiced stop. PIE "look-alike stems" - Evidence of something or a red herring?
- The former work is rather seductive, thanks in part to the coos of the three female vocalists and also because of the exotic tones of the marimbas, glockenspiels, and metallophone.
- Honesty policy for problem sets: General discussion of the assignments with other students is acceptable and encouraged (e. g. "Remind me, how do I know if something is an allophone?
- In other words, [ss] is an allophone of *s and [tt] is an allophone of *t until Voicing turns these sounds into different phonemes, *z and creaky *d̰. A few more words on my new Gemination rule for Pre-IE
- In a worried report, a Université de Montréal demographer suggests that so many francophones are moving there that by 2021 allophones and anglophones will combine to form the majority of Montreal's population.
- The glockenspiel - not to be confused with a xylophone - is the most well-known of the metallophone family of instruments. Culture | guardian.co.uk
- Allophone: The different phones which can represent a phoneme in different phonetic environments are called the allophones of that phoneme.
- As a mechanism it isn't without problems, I admit: typically (in the examples I've seen, anyway) dissimilation leads to the substitution of another phoneme, not to the insertion of one (or the introduction of a new allophone). Japanese dialect mirrors suspected PIE development of sibilantization between two dental stops
- One of their most popular musical ensembles played during such occasions is the gamelan, an instrumental ensemble made up of drums, xylophones, metallophones, tuned gongs, and bamboo flutes.