- a corticosteroid hormone that is secreted by the cortex of the adrenal gland; regulates salt (sodium and potassium) and water balance
How To Use aldosterone In A Sentence
- Aldosterone production is preserved in secondary adrenal failure; renin concentrations will therefore be normal, and Synacthen tests will show a subnormal response to cortisol.
- The hypotensive response to captopril is accompanied by a decrease in plasma aldosterone and angiotensin II levels and an increase in plasma renin levels.
- Progesterone also increases sodium and water excretion in females because of competition between progesterone and aldosterone, a kidney hormone that regulates water balance.
- Another component of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is bradykinin, a vasoactive peptide metabolized by the same enzyme that converts angiotensin I to angiotensin II.
- Moller and colleagues, for example, recently found increased angiotensin II and aldosterone in patients with sleep apnea.
- A government-funded study is testing whether spironolactone, which is a type of drug known as an aldosterone antagonist, can reduce the death rate among these patients; the trial is expected to be completed in about 2012. peter. [email protected] Top Stories - Google News
- This stimulated the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system to reduce intravascular volume via diuresis.
- Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.
- The mechanism for this benefit is most likely a blockade of aldosterone receptors.
- The decreased secretion of aldosterone will affect body electrolyte balance and extracellular fluid volume.