- north temperate shrubs or trees having toothed leaves and conelike fruit; bark is used in tanning and dyeing and the wood is rot-resistant
How To Use alder tree In A Sentence
- On the island, I followed indistinct paths through the lime, oak and black alder trees.
- The picture is then traced onto the boards, using a pointer or toothed wheel, and marked out with cones from the alder tree or with coffee beans.
- We planted blue and white alyssums around her alder trees, and pink begonias around her house and gate.
- These roads that were no longer in use had been partly washed away in spots and were grown over by alder trees, but easier than plain bushwhacking.
- Despite the grey heavens and bitter northerlies there is something decorative, even festive about the way the catkins tremble in the alder trees on Ducan's Marsh. Country diary: Claxton, Norfolk
- A rabbit hole on the hill surrounded by morning frost; a crow looking down into the roofless windmill tower; a rot hole in the trunk of an alder tree fallen into a field from the streamside; a muddy drain in the road. Country diary: Wenlock Edge