[ US /ˈɛɹˌfɔɪɫ/ ]
- a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
How To Use airfoil In A Sentence
- This approach has culminated in the use of multiple high-speed video cameras to document the three-dimensional shape and motion of the feathered airfoil.
- Key areas include structural components, exhaust assemblies, engine fabrications and panels, combustion components, casings, rings and discs, machined airfoils, turbine airfoils and fan blades.
- Quite novel was the use of wooden interplane bracing struts, and also the automatic wing slots, which were like auxiliary airfoils that drooped out forward at low airspeeds and high angles of attack.
- In about 1968, the flat plate centerboard was replaced with an airfoil-shaped centerboard and the mast height was raised slightly, resulting in approximately 20 square feet more sail area.
- In my early windsock investigations, I built models that were inverted airfoils literally pivoting to respond to changes in wind direction.
- Bernie was a self-taught engineer who learned to fly in the 1920s, designed his own airfoils and did his own stress analysis on the airplane.
- If an airplane wing provides lift (an airfoil), how does a plane fly upside down?
- “The turbine of the present invention has the advantage that it is efficient over a wider range of fluid flow rates, as compared with turbines of the prior art, due to the airfoil-shaped spacers,” the patent explains. Tesla-Inspired Bladeless Wind Turbine Could Generate Power Comparable to Coal Power Plants | Impact Lab
- The front façade is dominated by a 30-foot tall vertical “airfoil” fin, which is actually a structural column, and is also made of stainless steel. The Pacific Heights Residence by Lundberg Design
- Don't just be content to remove ice from airfoils, however.