in the direction opposite to the direction the wind is blowing
they flew upwind
How To Use against the wind In A Sentence
- I hunt, corner and finally squash a wasp against the window. Times, Sunday Times
- Quite a lot, I should think," Cat said, looking at the mass of horse-chestnut leaves pressed against the window. CHARMED LIFE
- He was rowing with two oars but going against the wind and tide. Times, Sunday Times
- The wall screens us against the wind.
- Then take that instrument used in winnowing the corn, which in our country dialect we call a wecht, and go through all the attitudes of letting down corn against the wind. Halloween
- One of the inspectors was walking along the embankment outside, his coat collar turned up against the wind. Somewhere East of Life
- After a fine day, the sky had clouded over and suddenly rain lashed against the windows.
- Gales of wind rapped against the windows, making extremely loud noises.
- The doomed tanker was hauled out to sea by tugs straining against the winds and tide.
- He squashed his nose against the window.