[ US /ˈæftɝwɝd/ ]
[ UK /ˈɑːftəwəd/ ]
[ UK /ˈɑːftəwəd/ ]
happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
it didn't happen until afterward
he apologized subsequently
he's going to the store but he'll be back here later
two hours after that
How To Use afterward In A Sentence
- The sun was shining, the food at the restaurant was good and I was left with a warm glow in my tummy afterwards.
- Having worked himself into this ridiculous kind of phrensy, which lasted, perhaps, from twenty to thirty seconds, he suddenly discontinued it, and suffered his features to relax into their natural form; but the motion of his head seemed to have so stupified him, as indeed it well might, that there remained an unusual vacancy and a drowsy stare upon his countenance for some time afterward. Three Voyages for the Discovery of a Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and Narrative of an Attempt to Reach the North Pole, Volume 1
- My poor Lirriper was a handsome figure of a man, with a beaming eye and a voice as mellow as a musical instrument made of honey and steel, but he had ever been a free liver being in the commercial travelling line and travelling what he called a limekiln road — “a dry road, Emma my dear,” my poor Lirriper says to me, “where I have to lay the dust with one drink or another all day long and half the night, and it wears me Emma” — and this led to his running through a good deal and might have run through the turnpike too when that dreadful horse that never would stand still for a single instant set off, but for its being night and the gate shut and consequently took his wheel, my poor Lirriper and the gig smashed to atoms and never spoke afterwards. Mrs. Lirriper's Lodgings
- But shortly afterwards they wrote to him informing him that the job offer had been withdrawn.
- Anticoagulation is required afterwards because the atria continue to fibrillate and the risk of systemic embolism persists.
- Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia.
- Afterward the rider returns the maintenance station to refuel in abundance carries on the final sprint.
- If you're running for more than 20 minutes, bring a water bottle and rehydrate during your workout as well as afterward.
- If it should be objected by any that though he did not himself burden them, yet, being crafty, he caught them with guile, that is, he sent those among them who pillaged them, and afterwards he shared with them in the profit: "This was not so," says the apostle; "I did not make a gain of you myself, nor by any of those whom I sent; nor did Titus, nor any others -- We walked by the same spirit and in the same steps. Commentary on the Whole Bible Volume VI (Acts to Revelation)
- Poitiers, dedicated to the queen of Clothaire I. -- who afterwards took the veil, and was distinguished for her piety -- there is shown on a white marble slab a well-defined footmark, which is called "Le pas de Roman Mosaics Or, Studies in Rome and Its Neighbourhood