[ US /æfˈɡænəˌstæn/ ]
a mountainous landlocked country in central Asia; bordered by Iran to the west and Russia to the north and Pakistan to the east and south
Soviet troops invaded Afghanistan in 1979
How To Use Afghanistan In A Sentence
- Afghans say the mound where the Americans have made a base was once used by Alexander the Great, who defeated the local tribes of Afghanistan in the 4th century B.C. Since their arrival in April, the members of the 10th Mountain Division, 3rd Brigade, 25th Artillery, have been working to win over the local population rather than subjugate it. Making inroads in Afghanistan
- The fact that your name adorned a jet over the skies over Afghanistan solidifies the bond all of us in the military share with the American people. CNN Transcript Mar 17, 2002
- Success was to be defined as the exfiltration of Bin Ladin out of Afghanistan.28 A meeting of principals was scheduled for May 29 to decide whether the operation should go ahead. Think Progress » Report: Saddam and Al Qaeda Enemies, Not Collaborators
- Cmdre Eric Lehre (ret'd) versus MGen Lewis MacKenzie (ret'd) on the subject of Canadians and NATO in Afghanistan. Welcome to 'maybe'
- Wanat was a horrific insurgent attack on a U.S. combat outpost in eastern Afghanistan last summer that left nine soldiers dead and 27 wounded. Way Up In The Sky Is The Leader Of The Greatest Band Of All Time | ATTACKERMAN
- Will this prolong the war in Afghanistan or shorten it? Times, Sunday Times
- George Bush developed a policy, he annunciated it in a magnificent speech 10 days after 9 / 11, and then he went into a war in Afghanistan that everybody thought was going to be impossible.
- While the generally liberal-leaning U.S. foreign policy establishment was quick to equate Obama's ascent to the presidency with a "new area of international engagement," the realities of realpolitilk has not only forced the President into a "straightjacket" with limited policy options vis-à-vis Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq. Sigurd Neubauer: Tea Partiers, Watch Out: Obama's Iran Policies Echo Bush's
- In southern France, police arrested 12 suspects in sweeps against suspected Islamic militant networks, including three men linked to a network recruiting fighters for Afghanistan, officials said. World Watch
- Islamabad: security forces killed 35 militants, on Tuesday in a military assault at tehsil lakarho and tehsil pindalai - mohmand agency, north-western tribal region of Pakistan, adjacent to Afghanistan. 35 militants killed in north-western Pakistan