[ US /ˈæniəs/ ]
- a mythical Greek warrior who was a leader on the Trojan side of the Trojan War; hero of the Aeneid
How To Use Aeneas In A Sentence
- Aeneas came back with a large army of Etruscans in time to save the camp, and furious war raged.
- Prior even to his election as pope, Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini paid for the restoration of the district church of S. Martino, which was reconsecrated on August 10, 1458.
- When Aeneas first sees Dido in all her stately beauty, he says:  in freta dum fluvii current, _dum montibus umbrae lustrabunt convexa_, polus dum sidera pascet, semper honos nomenque tuum laudesque manebunt, quae me cunque vocant terrae. The Religious Experience of the Roman People From the Earliest Times to the Age of Augustus
- And if the parasite can, as some of our peasants believe, open all locks, why should it not have served as an open Sesame in the hands of Aeneas to unlock the gates of death? Chapter 68. The Golden Bough
- But even in the most excellent determination of goodnesse, what Philosophers counsaile can so readely direct a Prince, as the feined Cirus in Xenophon, or a vertuous man in all fortunes: as Aeneas in Virgill, or a whole Common-wealth, as the Way Defence of Poesie
- Since stags and hinds, when deeply wounded with darts, arrows, and bolts, if they do but meet the herb called dittany, which is common in Candia, and eat a little of it, presently the shafts come out and all is well again; even as kind Venus cured her beloved byblow Aeneas when he was wounded on the right thigh with an arrow by Gargantua and Pantagruel, Illustrated, Book 4
- Their means is their misery, though they do apply themselves to the times, to lie, dissemble, collogue and flatter their lieges, obey, second his will and commands as much as may be, yet too frequently they miscarry, they fat themselves like so many hogs, as  Aeneas Anatomy of Melancholy
- Augustan ideals may retroactively remold the character and ambition of such figures as the Trojan Aeneas, but it is difficult to find in the Roman attitude toward Greek culture anything comparable to the humanist ideal of romanitas.
- He expresses the desire to retreat and Aeneas chastises him offering his own chariot as a vehicle.
- Aeneas' son Iulus kills a pet stag while hunting, and from that small spark a full-blown war develops.