[ US /ɪˈdʒiən/ ]
- of or relating to or characteristic of the prehistoric Aegean civilization
of or relating to or bordering the Aegean Sea
- an arm of the Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey; a main trade route for the ancient civilizations of Crete and Greece and Rome and Persia
How To Use Aegean In A Sentence
- This winding path is yet again an otherworldly symbolism and is related to the reason why ancient inscriptions in Etruria and in the Aegean area were sometimes written in a boustrophedon or spiral pattern. Archive 2009-03-01
- I certainly don't think that all Western IE roots are to be reassigned to the Aegean family, but I'm reasonably sure that in our ignorance of Minoan and related languages, Minoan history and "Pelasgian" substrate in Greek, there is definitely a noteworthy portion of words stemming from the eastern Mediterranean that are misassigned to PIE in overeagerness, thereby obscuring the linguistic past, exaggerating the importance of one group over many others. Archive 2010-03-01
- This mediaeval movement of expansion, which is commonly called the Crusades, but which made itself felt in Spain and Sicily and the Aegean as well as in the 'Holy Land', is a remarkable parallel to the propagation of Ancient Greek city-states round the same shores between about 750 and 600 B. C. The Legacy of Greece Essays By: Gilbert Murray, W. R. Inge, J. Burnet, Sir T. L. Heath, D'arcy W. Thompson, Charles Singer, R. W. Livingston, A. Toynbee, A. E. Zimmern, Percy Gardner, Sir Reginald Blomfield
- Above all, it has a beautiful rocky purity, pebbly shores, the coldest, cleanest sea in the Aegean, old mountain pathways and simple beach tavernas. Insiders' guide to Greece
- Aegean Sea, about 70 miles north of Smyrna, in the district anciently called Aeolis, and also Mysia. Smith's Bible Dictionary
- Her interest in Aegean demotic music and the folklore of East Asia is evident in her operas Nausicaa and Sappho.
- Beneath me is the deep blue abyss of the Aegean. Times, Sunday Times
- The same root *sub- appears to be present as in Etruscan and Egyptian and we even may be seeing an Aegean derivational suffix *-na attached. Archive 2010-07-01
- We have booked to go on a sailing holiday in the Aegean.
- He was familiar with most of the Greek poleis, Macedon, the satraps and cities along what is now the western Turkish coast, many of the isles in the Aegean, Persia and its holdings, Egypt, and many other Mediterranean cities. Kings and Poets