- powdered or granular carbon used for purifying by adsorption; given orally (as a slurry) it is an antidote for some kinds of poisons
How To Use activated charcoal In A Sentence
- While several agents are available, activated charcoal is the most broadly effective adsorbent.
- Activated charcoal does not effectively adsorb hydrocarbons, and, in the absence of coingestants, has no role in therapy. Hydrocarbon Ingestion
- · Adsorbents, such as kaolin, pectin and activated charcoal. Chapter 6
- Gastric decontamination with activated charcoal is recommended. Poison prevention for Delaware, Lehigh Valley, S.E. Pennsylvania
- Standard decontamination procedures should be followed in the conscious patient, including emesis with syrup of ipecac or gastric lavage, activated charcoal and a cathartic. Monamine Oxidase Inhibitors
- Other methods for achieving aromatization involve the use of elemental palladium, platinum, nickel, sulfur or selenium, activated charcoal or quinones.
- Gastric emptying via emesis or lavage should be performed in patients who have ingested greater than 40-60 mg./kg. of elemental iron or an unknown amount. 1 Activated charcoal is not useful, unless there are co-ingestants, since it does not bind metals such as iron. 1 Iron tablets are radiopaque, therefore, an abdominal radiograph should be performed to determine if there is evidence of iron tablets in the stomach or small bowel. Iron Poisoning
- The sucrose is whitened by the technique of decolorization, in which granular carbon—a material like activated charcoal that can absorb undesirable molecules on its large surface area—is added to the centrifuged, redissolved sugar. On Food and Cooking, The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- If bowel sounds are absent, at least one dose of activated charcoal can be administered and then removed by lavage within two hours in order to avoid concretions. Loads
- Ipecac's safety in the elderly has not been established, and may even have adverse effects. 18 Gastric lavage and activated charcoal are the preferred methods for GI decontamination in the older adult. 6 Elderly