- an ancient town on a promontory in western Greece
- the naval battle in which Antony and Cleopatra were defeated by Octavian's fleet under Agrippa in 31 BC
How To Use Actium In A Sentence
- Indeed, had Cleopatra and Antony managed to win the battle of Actium, the centuries that followed, which included the life of Jesus himself, could well have played out differently. Cleopatra and Antony by Diana Preston: Book summary
- If you look at the last century of the Republic (from the Gracchi down to Actium), one thing that stands out is the extraordinary number and extent of constitutional changes Rome went through. Matthew Yglesias » By Request: The Case for Parliamentarism
- The sea battle of Actium decides the fate of the Roman Empire.
- SAW 85-92 ends with the ho-hum "Actium," whose aimless thumping, gurgling, clicking, and clonking become monotonous well before it ends after nearly eight minutes. Epinions Recent Content for Home
- However, Suetonius relates that Octavius, surnamed Augustus, was so weak as to believe that a fish, which leaped from the sea upon the shore at Actium, foreboded that he should gain the battle. A Philosophical Dictionary
- III. vii --- Antony creates an irrational, unexplained preference to quarrel upon sea, not upon land, where he is a mythological universe champion, opposite Octavius during Actium. Archive 2009-11-01
- Cleopatra's abandonment of Antony during Actium is a good crux of this relationship, in Auden's view. Philadelphia Reflections: Shakspere Society of Philadelphia
- The MI15 strain of Agrobacterium radiobacter can produce Agrocin MI15 which inhibits the growth of Agrobactium tumefaciens, a pathogen causing grape crown gall.
- The Battle of Actium took place in 31 BC.
- It is largely devoted to an account of the battle of Actium, but tells it all in the manner of Callimachus, a style wholly unsuited to the subject-matter.