[ US /ˈæbsəˌɫut/ ]
[ UK /ˈæbsəlˌuːt/ ]
[ UK /ˈæbsəlˌuːt/ ]
something that is conceived or that exists independently and not in relation to other things; something that does not depend on anything else and is beyond human control; something that is not relative
no mortal being can influence the absolute
not capable of being violated or infringed
infrangible human rights
not limited by law
an absolute monarch
expressing finality with no implication of possible change
an absolute guarantee to respect the nation's authority
perfect or complete or pure
complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers
a downright lie
got the job through sheer persistence
many right-down vices
a rank outsider
an absolute dimwit
an out-and-out lie
How To Use absolute In A Sentence
- There is no absolute standard for beauty.
- I can, however tell you that AB is absolutely freaking awesome!! What I've been doing this morning...
- What we need is the Government to get this absolutely right and to provide certainty. Times, Sunday Times
- The authority of the father was absolute, as the head of a hierarchy arranged by generation, age and sex, in which every member of the extended family was related in rank to every other.
- Absolute property right can only guarantee liberty in form.
- If we want to avert a very deep recession it is absolutely vital that these psychological factors are reversed.
- All three leads are simply stellar in their roles and the interactions ring absolutely true.
- The value of individual liberty is not absolute, but is subject to the authority of established government.
- Christianity could not content itself with building up its own altar; it was absolutely forced to undertake the destruction of the heathen altars
- inconceivability" is used in the sense of relative inconceivability, it is incorrectly used, unless it is qualified in some way; because, if used without qualification, there is danger of its being confused with inconceivability in its absolute sense. A Candid Examination of Theism