- Dutch navigator who was the first European to discover Tasmania and New Zealand (1603-1659)
How To Use Abel Tasman In A Sentence
- The first European to discover New Zealand was Abel Tasman, a navigator for the Dutch East India Company, in 1642.
- In 1642 the Dutch navigator, Abel Tasman, anchored off Golden Bay, thinking he had found part of the legendary great southern continent which the Dutch East India Company had sent him to find.
- The Dutch navigator Abel Tasman discovered 1642 New Zealand.
- The islands were discovered by the Dutch navigator Abel Tasman in 1643 and visited by Capt.
- Many of these were merchant ships from the Dutch East Indies Company and included the ships of Abel Tasman.