How To Use 1 Kings In A Sentence
- That the people shall be destroyed with the sword: I will cut off the inhabitant from the plain of Aven, the valley of idolatry, for the gods of the Syrians were gods of the valleys (1 Kings xx. 23), were worshipped in valleys; as the idols of Israel were worshipped on the hills; him also that holdeth the sceptre of power, some petty king or other that used to boast of the sceptre he held from Beth-Eden, the house of pleasure. Commentary on the Whole Bible Volume IV (Isaiah to Malachi)
- At least, it is almost certain that its principal industries were the smelting and the sale of gold, also it seems probable that expeditions travelling by sea and land would have occupied quite three years of time in reaching it from Jerusalem and returning thither laden with the gold and precious stones, the ivory and the almug trees (1 Kings x.). Elissa
- Such were the prophets of Baal, in whose name expressly they prophesied, and whose assistance they invocated: "They called on the name of Baal, saying, O Baal, hear us," 1 Kings xviii. Pneumatologia
- For example, when the author of Luke rewrites the story in 1 Kings 17 of Elijah raising the son of a widow he met at the gate of a city , to become a story of Jesus raising the son of a widow he met at the gate of a city, Luke copies out 'kai edoken auton te metri autou' from the old story. BBC 1 Sunday - The miracles of Jesus part 1 - Rageh Omaar
- (2 Chr. 2: 8; 9: 10, 11), the same as almug (1 Kings 10: 11). Easton's Bible Dictionary
- But most of the time the Holy Spirit's power is released in your life in quiet, unassuming ways. He often nudges us with "a gentle whisper" (1 Kings 19:12 NIV).
- But yet, notwithstanding all this, Solomon himself, in his prayer at the dedication of that house, 1 Kings viii. 27, seems to intimate that there was some check upon his spirit, considering the unanswerableness of the house to the great majesty of God. The Sermons of John Owen
- When he was old, "his wives turned his heart after other gods; and his heart was not loyal to the Lord his God, as was the heart of his father David" (1 Kings 11:4).