funny vs serious
- beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
- experiencing odd bodily sensations
- not as expected
- arousing or provoking laughter
- an account of an amusing incident (usually with a punch line)
Rose doubled over when Facer walked in wearing his funny clothes.
I'm pleased I didn't get that job, in a funny sort of way.
Some of the jokes were rude, others corny, and some a tad funny.
- of great consequence
- concerned with work or important matters rather than play or trivialities
- appealing to the mind
- completely lacking in playfulness
- requiring effort or concentration; complex and not easy to answer or solve
The only seriously bad bit is that you become less agile and less strong.
The results were disastrous, plunging the country into deep depression, with high unemployment, sharply falling living standards and serious political unrest.
I do not of course mean, Heaven forbid! that people should try to converse seriously; that results in the worst kind of dreariness, in feeling, as Stevenson said, that one has the brain of a sheep and the eyes of a boiled codfish.