- inflammatory degenerative disease of the brain caused by thiamine deficiency that is usually associated with alcoholism
How To Use Wernicke's encephalopathy In A Sentence
- Wernicke's encephalopathy is often associated with alcohol abuse, the processes involved being a lack of adequate oral intake, hyperemesis and malabsorption caused by gastrointestinal lesions.
- Many physicians use solutions that contain dextrose; however, it may be advisable to give thiamine first, because of the theoretic risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy.
- Chronic alcoholics are at risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy, in which delirium becomes complicated by ataxia and ophthalmoplegia.
- Wernicke's encephalopathy is difficult to diagnose because the classic triad of confusion, ataxia, and ophthalmoplegia occurs in only 10% of patients, and drunk people are often confused and ataxic.