- English poet and dramatist considered one of the greatest English writers (1564-1616)
How To Use Shakspere In A Sentence
- A student of Shakspere, I had learned something of every dance alluded to in his plays, and hence partially understood several of those I now saw -- the minuet, the pavin, the hey, the coranto, the lavolta. Lilith, a romance
- I find in Paul's writing the same artistic fault, with the same resulting difficulty, that I find in Shakspere's -- a fault that, in each case, springs from the admirable fact that the man is much more than the artist -- the fault of trying to say too much at once, of pouring out stintless the plethora of a soul swelling with life and its thought, through the too narrow neck of human utterance. Unspoken Sermons Series I., II., and II.
- Probably there ran through every vein and current of the Scotchman's blood something that warm'd up to this kind of trait and character above aught else in the world, and which makes him in my opinion the chief celebrater and promulger of it in literature -- more than Plutarch, more than Shakspere. Specimen Days; from Complete Poetry and Collected Prose
- The New Shakspere Society attempted to use metrical and phraseological tests to establish the order in which Shakespeare wrote the plays; and, using that order, to study ‘the progress and meaning of Shakspere's mind’.
- It assumingly dates from a early 1600's, nonetheless either a subject is Shakspere is debatable. Philadelphia Reflections: Shakspere Society of Philadelphia
- I consider that my seeing the man those years glimpsd for me, beyond all else, that inner spirit and formthe unquestionable charm and vivacity, but intrinsic sophistication and artificialitycrystallizing rapidly upon the English stage and literature at and after Shaksperes time, and coming on accumulatively through the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries to the beginning, fifty or forty years ago, of those disintegrating, decomposing processes now authoritatively going on. The Old Bowery. November Boughs
- A phototype and a chromo-phototype, issued by the New Shakspere Society, are the best reproductions for the purposes of study. A Life of William Shakespeare with portraits and facsimiles
- I find in Paul’s writing the same artistic fault, with the same resulting difficulty, that I find in Shakspere’s — a fault that, in each case, springs from the admirable fact that the man is much more than the artist — the fault of trying to say too much at once, of pouring out stintless the plethora of Unspoken Sermons Third Series
- We additionally encounter Launce, a singular of Shakspere's commencement oafish ridiculous characters. Philadelphia Reflections: Shakspere Society of Philadelphia
- Shakspere's influence it might be expected that his would have been the name paramount among the pioneers of English romanticism. A History of English Romanticism in the Eighteenth Century