barely able to read and write
an semiliterate scrawl
- literate but poorly informed
- able to read but not to write
How To Use semiliterate In A Sentence
- Ms. Suchaski said the Hatchechubbee Post Office is a place where locals trade news about births and deaths and the occasional loose cow, and where service extends beyond the mail, to helping some semiliterate customers pay bills. Post-Office Closure List Sent
- In an interview with the Guardian last year, he described them as a bunch of greedy, uncultured, semiliterate oiks. Alexander Lebedev: profile
- It should be accessible to the child, to the woman, to the man, to the old person, to the semiliterate, to the presidents of universities, to everyone. The New York Public Library: Interview: How Libraries Changed Maya Angelou's Life
- In arduous debate, the semiliterate or illiterate juror is too readily won over by the selectivity of a persuasive reader.
- Steil noticed that the man read like a semiliterate person, word by word, his mind searching for hidden effects or derivations. OUTCAST
- As long as the computers are semiliterate, the clerks will have jobs. Poor Penmanship Spells Job Security for Post Office's Scribble Specialists
- She would never get mixed up with a semiliterate man who made his living with his fists. Come Again No More
- an semiliterate scrawl
- Pity the poor textbook writer, charged not only with describing American history to semiliterate students our public schools rank 49th in the nation but also with locating transgendered Americans who made their marks upon it. History Class Can't Stop Bullies
- We're working on projects like a visual interface that will enable illiterate or semiliterate people to use a PC instantly, with minimal training.