- the dialect of English spoken at Oxford University and regarded by many as affected and pretentious
How To Use Oxford English In A Sentence
- Update: A commenter quotes one of the definitions for ballast from the Oxford English Dictionary as: 3. Is That Legal?: May 2007 Archives
- (Survey report 6801 summarizing Adm. 68/195, 156v, and other data in Adm. 68/194 and/196, found in the microfilms of the Virginia Colonial Records Project, Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library, University of Virginia; A letter of Carter's executors to Dawkins 1738 May 10 refers to "your ship Bailey.")  According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a "rodomontade" is "a vainglorious brag or boast; an extravagantly boastful or arrogant saying or speech. Letter from Robert Carter to Edward Athawes, July 31, 1731
- Occasionally, the term faction is used as a synonym for political party, but" with opprobrious sense, conveying the imputation of selfish or mischievous ends or turbulent or unscrupulous methods ", according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Pepys' Diary
- And even if it is, sentential most important is well-attested in the Oxford English Dictionary and on the Internet: The open secret of sentential adverbs « Motivated Grammar
- The word "zine" is a shortened form of the term fanzine, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. NYT > Home Page
- The word“cent,” ultimately from the Latin centum, was used in English to mean “hundred” before the year1400, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. The Grammarphobia Blog » Blog Archive » Franglais speaking
- Once we have secured exclusive rights to the word, the Minister for Education should seek an audience with the lexicographers at the Oxford English Dictionary with a view to getting the word entered into the dictionary.
- Angus Stevenson Editor, Concise Oxford English Dictionary "The expression 'woot' began in America but was picked up very quickly by people in Britain, as a result of the internet breaking down international boundaries," said Mr Stevenson. BBC News - Home
- That all changed with The Surgeon of Crowthorne, the gently rambling tale of the writing of the Oxford English Dictionary's first edition.
- Oxford English Dictionary Adds New Words - Today, the alphabetical range rean-recyclist was added to the New Edition: every word in this range has been thoroughly revised and updated. Megite Technology News: What's Happening Right Now