- any infection caused by a microorganism that does not normally cause disease in humans; occurs in persons with abnormally functioning immune systems (as AIDS patients or transplant patients receiving immunosuppressive drugs)
How To Use opportunistic infection In A Sentence
- All patients had prior opportunistic infections.
- Of the 43 patients with an opportunistic infection, 36 had a predominance of nodules smaller than 1 cm in diameter.
- It also serves as an entrée into seeking treatment for opportunistic infections and receiving antiretrovirals in the case of advanced HIV infection.
- Diabetes predisposes the patient to fungus or other opportunistic infections involving the intracranial contents.
- In staff training, the diagnosis of opportunistic infections and correct staging of disease are strongly emphasised.
- Prevention of opportunistic infections could provide both individual and public-health benefits.
- · Call on People Living With Aids to monitor availability of drugs to treat opportunistic infections (such as Diflucan for oral thrush and meningitis and medicine for TB or pneumonia) · Assertion of government commitment to work to lower cost of ANC Daily News Briefing
- In those who are severely immunosuppressed the treatment and prophylaxis of opportunistic infections remains important.
- Histoplasmosis is the most prevalent endemic mycosis in the U.S. and a common opportunistic infection.
- In 2007, 200,000 HIV-positive TB patients were enrolled on co-trimoxazole treatment to prevent opportunistic infections and 100,000 were on antiretroviral therapy. One-third of TB cases go undetected: WHO