- nonphotosynthetic fungi that resemble algae and that reproduce by forming oospores; sometimes classified as protoctists
How To Use Oomycetes In A Sentence
- Oomycetes resemble fungi in the form of their thalli, ecology, and the plant parasitic ability of some species and are traditionally studied by mycologists.
- The slime molds are now known to be a mixture of three or four unrelated groups, and the oomycetes are now classified in the Chromista, with the diatoms and brown algae.
- Oomycetes are oogamous, producing large non-motile gametes called eggs, and smaller gametes called sperm.
- O'Connell RJ, Panstruga R (2006) Tete and tete inside a plant cell: establishing compatibility between plants and biotrophic fungi and oomycetes. PLoS ONE Alerts: New Articles