[ UK /kˈælɪf/ ]
the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth
many radical Muslims believe a Khalifah will unite all Islamic lands and people and subjugate the rest of the world
How To Use kalif In A Sentence
- There were many old horse prints and wagon tracks imprinted in the packed snow, but what concerned Kalif were the many footprints, fresh footprints, that littered the newly-fallen powder.
- Giving no heed to the terms of his banishment, he made his way into the presence of the kalif; and there, by bold yet subtle argument, he not only succeeded in regaining the royal favor, but secured from Heschem a solemn instrument signed with the royal sign manual, whereby he was empowered to assume the government of the entire kingdom. Women of the Romance Countries
- Congress of Orientalists at Copenhagen (1908) by Father Lammens, it would appear that the façade of Mschatta is the work of an Omaiyad kalif of The Oriental Religions in Roman Paganism
- As a former 'westie', now lovingly at home in the better side of the State, I can tell you that universally, saying you are "from Seattle" will invite groans similar to those westies make when one says they're "from Kalifornia". Sound Politics: Where Is Okanogan County?
- Taken prisoners, their heads were cut off and sent to Cordova, where the kalif was cruel enough to present them to their imprisoned father for identification. Women of the Romance Countries
- In recent years, the careless field resources of county of Inner Mongolia impoverished banner fails badly, degrade, change dene, alkalify is serious.
- On account of the minority of her son, there was an attempt on the part of many in the palace to deprive the sultana of her authority, depose her son, and usurp the office of kalif. Women of the Romance Countries
- Heschem, the real kalif, was a virtual prisoner in his harem, and was encouraged by his guardian and friends to devote himself entirely to a religious life, leaving all the cares of state to his mother Sobeyah and to the vizier. Women of the Romance Countries
- Seville was his capital, and there his power was so great that the kalif in Women of the Romance Countries
- Kalifornia aside, the talented young star has done nothing to deserve such harsh comments, although her head shot is indeed “haggardly.” Y.P.R.: I Am Going to Die Alone