[ US /ˈdʒækəˌbaɪt/ ]
- a supporter of James II after he was overthrown or a supporter of the Stuarts
How To Use Jacobite In A Sentence
- The word "send" in "send Him victorious" is a relic of the Jacobite adaptation of the original anthem. The History and Significance of The National Anthem
- And so he became a Tory, as they ca 'it, which we now ca' Jacobites, just out of a kind of needcessity, that he might belang to some side or other. Redgauntlet
- The Jacobite story was one of history's longest running spy sagas.
- Most had, understandably assumed that Jacobite glass objects had solid provenances and that those who had written on the subject had done so after having done their research.
- Of course, the problem being that people like that lady in the Confederate tee shirt tend to be ignorant yahoos who wouldn’t know a Jacobite from a Jacobin. joe from Lowell says: Matthew Yglesias » Pro-Slavery
- Under the pa - triarch and the maphrian, one hundred and fifty archbifliops and bifbops have been counted in the different ages of the Jacobite church; but the order of the hierarchy is relaxed or ditfolved, and the greater part of their diocefes is confined to the neighbourhood of the Euphrates and the Tigris. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
- The governor of the garrison was suspected of being a Jacobite traitor; an allegation he vehemently denied.
- (Hillaire Belloc noted once that, while Jacobite songs were often heard in English homes, he had been warned by the gendarmerie for intoning “Vexilla regis” on a beach in Brittany.) History
- It is needless to describe in detail the literary task-work done by Johnson at this period, the Latin poems which he contributed in praise of Cave, and of Cave's friends, or the Jacobite squibs by which he relieved his anti-ministerialist feelings. Samuel Johnson
- [A bothy is a cottage or hut where labouring servants are lodged, and is sometimes built of wood, as we read in the _Jacobite Relics_, ii. Notes and Queries, Number 231, April 1, 1854 A Medium of Inter-communication for Literary Men, Artists, Antiquaries, Genealogists, etc.