[ US /ˈdiˌtɹɔɪt, dɪˈtɹɔɪt/ ]
- the largest city in Michigan and a major Great Lakes port; center of the United States automobile industry; located in southeastern Michigan on the Detroit river across from Windsor
How To Use Detroit In A Sentence
- Combined with customers who would steer clear of Detroit brands because of uncertainty surrounding maintenance warranties, a messy bankruptcy could have have kicked off a vicious downward spiral that could have ended in liquidation and enormous job losses. Wonk Room » If We Had Let GM Go Bankrupt Last November, We Could Have Lost Another Million Jobs
- The predominant opinion voiced by Detroit's Arab population seems to be one of frustration.
- Wildlife official are celebrating the sighting of a beaver in the Detroit River for the first time in at least 75 years, signaling that efforts to clean up the waterway are paying off.
- Like the mounting of Detroit Revealed, the creation of Rivera's murals in 1932-33 took place at the height of an economic and political crisis, namely the Great Depression. Vince Carducci: Revealing Detroit Photographically
- Detroit: The rebuilding Pistons, looking for help along their front line, drafted Austin Daye, a 6-11 sophomore from Gonzaga, with the No. 15 pick — the third player selected in the first round who is the son of a former NBA player. Team-by-team analysis: T'wolves have guards covered
- We hit Detroit by noon
- What air there was might touch all alike, but would affect least the "Lawrence," "Detroit," and "Queen Charlotte," because their sails were being rent; and also they were in the centre of the cannonade, which is believed usually to kill the breeze. Sea Power in its Relations to the War of 1812 Volume 2
- A Los Angeles artist who gave that city's art establishment a bursting sense of pride for having nurtured such an obstreperous talent, he earned his celebrity status in part by retaining the obsessions and wounds of a smart Catholic working-class kid from the suburbs of Detroit who had never entirely assimilated to his sun-splashed California home. How Will the Future Judge Him?
- The title quest has been driving him, from Pittsburgh to Detroit to Chicago the past few years. NYT > Home Page
- Detroit Aircraft's frantic efforts to regain stability were unavailing and, in October, the corporation floundered into receivership.