- navigation without the aid of celestial observations
- an estimate based on little or no information
How To Use dead reckoning In A Sentence
- Most of our navigation was pure pilotage and dead reckoning over unfamiliar, sometimes hostile territory and some very bad weather.
- He knows dead reckoning is only so good when he as to do that, though. Quiz#3.
- As discussed in the accompanying article, land vehicles such as buses can navigate using dead reckoning.
- The aim was to reduce the heavy toll of shipwrecks caused by the crude navigational method of dead reckoning. The Times Literary Supplement
- The blind mole rat is the first animal found to navigate by combining dead reckoning with a sense of Earth's magnetic field, researchers say.
- When human mariners and lunar astronauts navigated by dead reckoning they used charts, tables, various measuring instruments, and a considerable amount of mathematics.
- The plane's captain added to the error by steering the plane on compass alone, backed up by dead reckoning and astro-fixes from a periscopic sextant.
- The azimuth error is one of the main error sources of dead reckoning. The method is very effective that make use of landmark to improve the accuracy of azimuth alignment.
- We fitted the trucks with air wheels - balloon tires, we would say now - and kept going, navigating like mariners, by sextant and compass and dead reckoning.
- The evidence that this particular creature navigates by dead reckoning comes from some painstaking research carried out by R. Wehner and M. V. Srinivasan in 1980-81.